The Social Venture Fund (SvF) has started its annual call for business plans for the 2015-2016 investment round and will be accepting applications until Sunday, October 25th. The Fund seeks innovative, high-impact, for-profit social enterprises to fund during its next investment round in spring 2016. As the nation’s first student-led impact investing fund, the SVF currently has five companies in its portfolio. Read about them here: http://www.umsocialventure.com/portfolio/.
SVF Investment Criteria
- Social Enterprise: The Social Venture Fund focuses exclusively on for-profit social enterprises that are committed to positive and measurable social and/or environmental impact. In evaluating potential investments, SvF employs rigorous social and financial valuation techniques to ensure that companies have the potential to provide a strong blended social and financial return.
- Alignment with Investment Areas: SvF invests in (typically) post-revenue companies responding to critical challenges within the Education, Food Systems & Environment, Health, and Urban Revitalization sectors.
- Investment Amounts and Stage: SvF invests $50,000 – $100,000 in equity or convertible debt notes as part of larger capital rounds, typically seed or Series A. Post-investment, SvF provides portfolio companies access to resources at the University of Michigan to help them scale quickly and deliver on their social or environmental mission.
- Change Agent Entrepreneurs: SvF invests in inspiring leaders capable of assembling a world-class management team that shares their passion and commitment to the enterprise’s sustained impact.
- Location: SvF focuses on businesses based in the United States. The Urban Revitalization circle is particularly interested in plans for the Southeast Michigan/Detroit area.
Please submit a 3-4 page business plan by Sunday, October 25, 2015. Your submitted materials should include:
- Business model
- Traction to date
- Leadership team information including background and relevant experience
- Description of positive social/environmental impact including key supporting metrics or research
- Revenue projections and financials in table format
Submit materials at: http://www.umsocialventure.com/submit-your-business-plan
Learn more about the Social Venture Fund’s approach to investing and portfolio management at http://www.umsocialventure.com/.
If you have any questions, please contact Diana Callaghan at firstname.lastname@example.org.