Earlier this week, we hosted our fourth Twitter chat, this time on the topic of the Marcel Gani internship program. Anyone who couldn’t join us live can catch up below.
If you aren’t already, follow us on Twitter @ZellLurie. Look out for our next #ZellChat on April 7!
What types of internships does the Marcel Gani program offer?
- Marcel Gani internships pair Michigan Ross students with start-ups and VC firms for hands-on work experience.
- There are multiple types of internships. ZLI matches funds that are provided by the startups and VC firms.
- Students can choose to intern with a host company arranged by ZLI. You can find those here: http://www.zli.bus.umich.edu/events_programs/internships.asp
- They can also choose a student-initiated internship where they recruit their own internship host.
- Students can do a self-hosted internship and use the time to launch their business under guidance from ZLI staff and faculty.
Can any U-M student apply for a Marcel Gani summer internship?
- First-year MBAs or sophomore/junior BBAs enrolled in Michigan Ross are eligible to apply.
Which companies are looking for interns this year?
- There are 16 companies hiring, including Movellus, Cribspot, MIssionThrottle, ArborMetrix, and My Fab 5.
- Outside of MI, ChatSports in San Francisco and LearnZillion in DC are hiring.
- You can view the full list of companies here: http://bit.ly/18HKMrE
How do student-initiated internships work?
- If you are interested in a particular industry or location, you can find your own internship host company.
- Host companies need to be in early growth phase with fewer than 50 employees and have secure financial backing or cash flow.
- They can also be VC firms that invest in such companies. Guidelines for student-initiated internships: http://bit.ly/1Cdk1HL
What is a self-hosted internship?
- Self-hosted internships are for students planning to launch their businesses by the end of the summer.
- To qualify, students must have a complete business plan, no outside equity financing and be in Ann Arbor during the summer.
- Interns will be assigned a ZLI staff/faculty mentor for weekly meetings during the course of the internship.
What are the internship requirements?
- Interns are responsible for a few different deliverables over the course of the summer.
- Deliverables include an internship plan outlining your goals for the summer and a final essay discussing what you learned.
- Students can also write an optional academic case based on your work for credit or compensation.
What university resources are available to interns?
- During the summer, interns are assigned a Kresge librarian to help with industry research and competitive landscaping.
- Plus, the ZLI faculty and staff are always available to field questions!
When is the deadline to apply?
- Self-hosted apps were due March 18. Internships with startups and VCs are accepted on a rolling basis until funding runs out.